- About Us
- Schools & Divisions
- Admissions & Aid
- Research & Faculty
- Campus Life
The university takes its name from 19th-century Maryland philanthropist Johns Hopkins, an entrepreneur and abolitionist with Quaker roots who believed in improving public health and education in Baltimore and beyond.
Mr. Hopkins, one of 11 children, made his fortune in the wholesale business and by investing in emerging industries, notably the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, of which he became a director in 1847. In his will, he set aside $7 million to establish a hospital and affiliated training colleges, an orphanage, and a university. At the time, it was the largest philanthropic bequest in U.S. history.
Johns Hopkins University opened in 1876 with the inauguration of our first president, Daniel Coit Gilman. He guided the opening of the university and other institutions, including the university press, the hospital, and the schools of nursing and medicine. The original academic building on the Homewood campus, Gilman Hall, is named in his honor.
“Our simple aim is to make scholars, strong, bright, useful, and true,” Gilman said in his inaugural address.
In the speech, he defined the model of the American research university, now emulated around the globe. The mission he described then remains the university's mission today:
To educate its students and cultivate their capacity for lifelong learning, to foster independent and original research, and to bring the benefits of discovery to the world.
Or, summed up in a simple but powerful restatement of Gilman's own words: “Knowledge for the world.”