Johns Hopkins is excited to bring a new experience to the Homewood campus for JHU faculty, staff, and students as well as special weekend access for the local Baltimore community.
The ice rink will create new memories and provide another opportunity to engage the JHU community together in a fun, winter experience. The experience (and rental skates) will be free of charge to all participants. The ice rink will be located on the north side of the Homewood campus on the tennis courts adjacent to North Charles Street.
Each attendee will be required to sign up for a 90-minute skate session and complete the electronic waiver prior to arrival at the rink. Whether you are rink side or on the ice we need you to pre-register and sign the waiver. All entrants to the premises, regardless of participation in skating, observing, or age, are required to sign the waiver. Your online registration should include the number of all attendees, regardless of their participation as a skater or observer or their age.
Skates will be provided but guests are welcome to bring their own. At the end of the each 90-minute skate session, all participates will be asked to leave the rink and skate area as the ice is prepared for the next session.
The ice rink cannot be reserved for events.
Dates and Hours of Operation
The Ice Rink will open on Tuesday, January 18, 2022 and operate through Sunday, February 27, 2022. JHU faculty, staff, and students will be able to reserve skate times each day during operation and the general public during the weekends.
Hours of operation
JHU Affiliates and open to the General Public
- Saturdays: 8 a.m. – 9:30 p.m.
- JHU Affiliate Only Late Skate: 10 – 11:30 p.m.
- Sundays: 10 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
JHU Affiliates Only
- Monday – Thursday: 12 – 7:30 p.m.
- Fridays: 12 – 11:30 p.m.
Ice Rink Location and Parking
The ice rink is located on the north side of the Homewood campus on the tennis courts adjacent to Charles Street.
Parking on Saturday and Sunday can be located at the Muller Deck off of St. Martin Drive or near campus in metered city street parking locations.
Skate Time Registration
Each attendee is required to register for a 90 minute skate session. JHU faculty, staff, students and General Public attendees can sign up both themselves and additional attendees (family, etc.). Family members and those over 18 can register for those under the age of 18. An email confirmation will be sent after registration is complete.
While the ice rink will not be available for group rental, JHU Faculty, Staff, and Students are encouraged to sign up using the registration process. Whether a student organization, office team, residence hall community, or group of friends, planning ahead to register at the same time is the best way to ensure everyone can attend together.
Each participant is required to complete and submit an online participation waiver prior to admittance to the ice rink. Upon arrival at the rink, each participant will have their waiver confirmed. Waivers can be completed on site if necessary but we encourage everyone to complete the process ahead of time to ensure a smooth entry to the ice rink. Participants under the age of 18 must have the waiver signed by a parent or guardian.
Skate rentals will be free of charge. Skates of all sizes will be available to attendees. Skate aids will also be available for children and those with physical disabilities. Participants are welcome to bring their own skates to the ice rink.
Wheelchairs are permitted on the rink. Wheelchair users can enter the rink independently with accessible entry to skate platform or with a personal care assistant (PCA) to help guide. PCAs can use personal or rental skates on the floor or shoe grips to walk around the rink. PCAs must be registered along with all other guests. Waivers must be completed by all skaters.
We support the participation of individuals with disabilities. Please contact email@example.com if you have questions about accessibility.
Small lockers will be provide for personal property. Johns Hopkins is not responsible for lost or stolen items inside the ice rink.
Hot and cold beverages and snacks will be provided free of charge.
Restrooms will be located adjacent to the ice rink at Babb Field. Ice rink participates will be required to remove their skates to access the restrooms. Restrooms are accessible.
Ice Rink Rules
Review the participants and spectators responsibility and assumption of liability agreement.
- Harry Potter – Saturday, January 22: Dress as your favorite character or in Hogwarts house colors
- Star Wars – Saturday, January 29: Skate in your favorite Star Wars character costume
- Ugly holiday sweater night – Saturday, February 5: Put on your ugly holiday sweater one more time for the season and skate to winter holiday music
- Valentine’s Skate – Saturday, February 12: bring a date for couples’ skate
- Motown – Saturday, February 19: Groove to your favorite Motown hits
- Disco – Saturday, February 26: Skate to some far-out Disco tunes
- JHU Spirit – All sessions on Tuesdays, January 18 & 25, February 1, 8, 15, 22: Show your spirit skating in your Hopkins swag
- Grad Students – Thursday, January 27: Celebrate JHU graduate students
- Freshman – Thursday, February 3: Celebrate JHU freshman students/Class of 2025
- Sophomore – Thursday, February 10: Celebrate JHU sophomore students/Class of 2024
- Juniors – Thursday, February 17: Celebrate JHU junior students/Class of 2023
- Seniors – Thursday, February 24: Celebrate JHU senior students/Class of 2022
- Music decade night – Friday, January 14: The best skating songs from every decade
- Baltimore sports night – Friday, January 28: Wear gear from your favorite Baltimore sports team
- Alumni Day – Sunday, January 30
- Greek night out – Friday, February 4: Celebrate JHU Greek-life
- JHU sports night – Friday, February 11: Sport your JHU athletic team gear and celebrate JHU sports
- K-pop night – Friday, February 18: Skate to K-pop music
- TikTok night – Friday, February 25: Skate to today’s favorite TikTok music
Frequently Asked Questions
Can JHU affiliates register their families and guests to the JHU Affiliates Only sessions?
Yes, JHU affiliates may be accompanied by family members and guests, and those individuals should be included in online registrations. The JHU affiliate must be on the premises with their family and guests during the entire skating session for which they are registered. All attendees must be registered and must complete a waiver to enter, regardless of age or level of participation as a skater or observer.
Who is operating the Ice Rink?
Johns Hopkins has contracted with Ice America to install and fully operate the seasonal ice rink.
Where will the ice rink be located?
The ice rink will be installed on the north side of the Homewood campus on the tennis courts adjacent to North Charles Street. This is a temporary installation and the tennis courts will be restored to their original conditions at the conclusion of the 6-week schedule to resume normal activities.
Does the ice rink site and experience meet ADA and accessibility requirements?
Yes, our facilities team has worked closely with the Disability Support Services to ensure that the site and facilities meet all ADA requirements.
How will the ice rink site be secured?
The site includes two entrances- one for JHU affiliates and another for members of the public with security provided 24 hours, 7 days a week for the area.
How will ice rink capacity be monitored and controlled?
Participants must register for a skating session online. Skate intervals will be two hours (90-minute skate time/30-minute ice maintenance). A session will allow 100 persons on the ice, along with 75 non-skating companions for a total of 175 persons inside the ticketing portion of the rink at any time.
Please submit an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for questions or comments.