Listed below are the non-virtual laboratory projects for this course. Complete descriptions of the assignments are listed elsewhere in a non-public site. However, demonstrations of laboratory techniques and equipment use are available here.
1. Materials--determine the tensile
and bending strength of spaghetti; determine
Young's modulus. Demonstration: mixing epoxy (18Mb).
2. Mousetrap design--design a mousetrap from paper, rubber bands, and glue.
3. Multiparameter decision-making.
4. Remote measurement--find the
distance between two buildings; estimate the
5. Mousetrap construction--construct a paper mousetrap from a set of instructions.
6. Circuit building--assemble
a robot-control circuit using TTL logic chips and a breadboard.
Chip and circuit board description.
7. Chemical processes--carry
out distillation and paper chromatography experiments.
Observe gravitational instability in layered liquids.
Demonstrations: using a hydrometer, creating a stratified fluid .