2012-2013 Policy and Procedures for
Room Changes, Open Spaces, Wait Lists
- Room Changes & Open Spaces: If you are interested in requesting a room switch, you must contact the Wolman Housing Office. There is a $75 room change fee assessed to each student involved in the change. The room change fee is payable at the time the change is made. Room change requests will be made on a case by case basis, depending upon the nature of the request. Once the academic year begins, all room switch requests are handled by the Office of Residence Life.
If you switch to another suite/apartment in university housing, please notify your roommate/suitemates of your decision so they may have the opportunity to plan for the upcoming year.
If you learn that a space has become available within your unit you may contact the Wolman Housing Office at phone 410-516-7960 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a new roommate. However, the student you would like to pull in must be housed in a comparable space within university housing and the switch must occur within 2 business days. We will need to hear directly from the proposed new occupant as well. If there has been no other placement made, we will do what we can to honor the request. However, if a student has already been assigned to the space, we will be unable to accommodate your request. Do not ask us to change another student’s housing assignment. Housing will attempt to notify students if a new assignment occurs within their room, suite or apartment, however after Friday, July 27th, no attempts will be made due to the quick turn-around time involved in making last minute room assignments.
Back to top
- Termination of Housing Contract: Release from the housing contract is permitted only under conditions of academic dismissal, withdrawal or leave of absence and with written approval of the Associate Director of Housing. Students will receive a prorated refund of housing and dining charges in accordance with University policy if they withdraw prior to the end of the 10th week of the semester. There will be no refunds after the end of the 10th week of the semester. Thereafter, the student is responsible for payment of all charges under the contract for the full academic year. If you are not returning, please notify your roommate of your decision so they may have an opportunity to plan for the upcoming year.
Sophomore Students: If you are not returning to the University, it is your responsibility to directly inform Housing & Dining Services by August 1st, 2012 of your decision not to return. If you fail to notify Housing of your intent not to return to the University by August 1st, 2012 you will be responsible for a $500.00 administrative fee.Upperclass Students: If you have fulfilled the 2 yr. residence requirement and have secured a space in University Housing, you will be responsible for a non-refundable room holding deposit of $500.00. This deposit will be charged to your ISIS account by the Housing Office. If you move into your assigned unit by the applicable move-in date and remain in the assigned unit for the entire month of September, the room holding deposit will be credited to your account in October. You will be responsible for room and meal plan charges (if applicable) for the entire contract term. (If, however, you cancel before June 1 of the upcoming school year, all charges shall be waived except for the $500.00 non-refundable deposit or on or after June 1 but before the earliest move-in date, you will be responsible for only two months of the applicable room and meal plan charges.
Back to top
Upperclass: Rising juniors and seniors that registered for the Upperclass Room Selection Process but were unable to secure a space during the process will be able to waitlist themselves on-line at http://Home_at_Hopkins.jhu.edu. The wait list will be in priority number order starting the evening of Tuesday, February 28th after the completion of the process. Effective 12:00 noon, Wednesday, March 1st the wait list will be available on a first-come first-served basis to any junior and senior currently enrolled full time in the Krieger School of Arts and Sciences or the Whiting School of Engineering. Keep in mind you are only eligible for the wait list if you have not already secured a space in University Housing.
Freshmen: During the three-day room selection process, you have the option to go on-line to be waitlisted for a more ideal type of space. If you opt to be waitlisted anytime during the process, you will be added to the waitlist according to your group priority number. Effective 12:00 noon, Monday, April 2nd, the waitlist will be available on a first-come, first-served basis. You may sign up only after you have participated in the room selection process and may not place your name on the wait list for the same type of space you have already secured. We will no longer accept entries to the waitlist after Monday, June 11th, 2012.
All Students: You may request to waitlist yourself for more than one type of space, however, once you accept a space, your name will be removed from the waitlist. If you have placed your name on a waitlist and are contacted regarding a space, you will have two (2) business days to contact the Wolman Hall Housing Office to either accept or decline the offer. If a response is not received within the specified time frame, the space will be offered to the next person on the waitlist and your name will be removed from the waitlist. The waitlist will expire on Friday, August 10th
- Due to space limitations, adding your name to a waitlist does not guarantee receiving an offer for a new space.
- Any space that may become available in August may be directly assigned to incoming/returning students without going to the waitlist due to the quick turn-around time involved in finalizing room assignments prior to the start of classes.
Back to top
- University housing including residence halls and apartment buildings are non-smoking. Specifically, smoking is prohibited inside University housing buildings, including but not limited to, student rooms, suites, lounges, bathrooms, common areas, stairwells, lobbies and elevators. In addition, removing window screens and leaning out of windows to smoke is also prohibited. Residents who smoke must do so outside of the building and must be far enough away from the building so that smoke does not filter back into the building via exterior doors, windows or the building ventilation systems. Full cooperation of this policy is expected. Any violation of this policy will result in disciplinary action.
Back to top
Revised Monday, August 13th, 2012.