270.104 FLUID EARTH EXAM 1 Answers
26. Temperature decreases with height in troposphere and increases with height in the stratosphere. Ozone absorbs solar UV radiation and heats the stratosphere, whereas water vapor and other greenhouse gases absorb longwave radiation from Earth.
27. Albedo is the fraction of radiation reflected. Albedo = 20/200 = 0.1 or 10%.
28. Tilt of the axis of rotation of the Earth, which means altitude of the sun is lower.
29. Sense of rotation of the Earth is different between hemispheres.
30. Both for fritionless flow, and both parallel to isobars. Geostrophic for straight flow, gradient for curved flow.
31. For NH: (a) clockwise and outward across isobars, (b) clockwise and parallel to isobars.
32. Elongated band of thunderstorms parallel & ahead of cold front
33. A sound wave produced by intense heating by lightening
34. warm surface waters, coriolis force, no vertical shear, low-level convergence.