Johns Hopkins Washington Programs
A building in Washington, D.C., acquired to house Johns Hopkins University academic programs will be dedicated on Sunday, Oct. 13.
The Bernstein-Offit Building at 1717 Massachusetts Ave. N.W. will be dedicated in ceremonies beginning at 4:30 p.m. The event will take place across the street on the lawn of the Johns Hopkins Nitze School of Advanced International Studies, 1740 Massachusetts Ave. N.W., near Dupont Circle.
The building honors David H. Bernstein and Morris W. Offit, Johns Hopkins trustees and alumni, whose generosity made possible the acquisition of the building. The longtime friends and 1957 Johns Hopkins classmates have been supporters of a permanent home for the Washington programs of the university's Krieger School of Arts and Sciences and other university divisions.
Beginning with the addition of the Nitze School of Advanced International Studies in 1950, Johns Hopkins has offered an increasing number of academic programs in the nation's capital. The Bernstein-Offit Building already houses several programs, including the Krieger School's Center for the Study of American Government, which offers seminars and internships to undergraduates, as well as the school's Advanced Academic Programs, which offer master's degrees in select fields to part-time students.
The new Genetics and Public Policy Center of the university's Phoebe R. Berman Bioethics Institute also is located in the building. The center was recently established with a grant from the Pew Charitable Trusts.
The Nitze School of Advanced International Studies has moved its Center for Transatlantic Relations into the Bernstein-Offit Building, freeing up space in the school's two existing buildings and providing the center more suitable quarters.
Other Johns Hopkins divisions are also expected to offer academic programs and house other initiatives in the Bernstein-Offit Building.
"The global mission of Johns Hopkins and the international resources of Washington, D.C., are a perfect match," said William R. Brody, president of the university. "The Bernstein-Offit Building as a permanent home expands opportunities for collaboration among our academic divisions and with the political organizations, embassies, think-tanks, and other agencies that make Washington the world capital that it is. The benefit to our mission and to our students and faculty is incalculable."
The architect for building renovations was SmithGroup Inc. Contractors were Donohoe Construction Co. and Proutt Construction. Construction management was provided by Charles E. Smith Construction Services.
Go to Headlines@HopkinsHome Page