|2008-present||President-elect, The Johns Hopkins University|
|2005-present||Provost, University of Pennsylvania|
|2005-present||Professor, University of Pennsylvania Law School|
|1999-2005||Professor, Faculty of Law, University of Toronto|
|2003-2004||Visiting Professor and Coca-Cola World Fellow, Yale Law School|
|1995-2005||Dean & James M. Tory Professor of Law, Faculty of Law, University of Toronto|
|Spring 1993||John M. Olin Visiting Fellow, Cornell Law School|
|1993-1999||Associate Professor, Faculty of Law, University of Toronto|
|1988-1993||Assistant Professor, Faculty of Law, University of Toronto|
|1988||LL.M., Yale Law School, Yale University|
|1986|| J.D., Faculty of Law, University of Toronto
Co-editor in Chief of Faculty of Law Review; Michael Moldaver Prize for Standing First in Third Year of Law; Carswell Prize for Academic Excellence; Lang, Michener Prize for Highest Standing in Commercial Law; Osler, Hoskin Prize for Legal Writing; Honors List in Law
|1982|| B.A., University of Toronto, with High
First Norman Alexander McLarty Scholarship for Highest Standing in Political Science and Economics (1981)
Books and Edited Journal Conference Volumes
1. Rule of Law Reform and Development: Charting the Fragile Path of Progress, Michael J. Trebilcock and Ronald J. Daniels (Cheltenham: Elgar Press, 2008).
2. On Risk and Disaster: Lessons from Hurricane Katrina, Ronald J. Daniels, Donald F. Kettl & Howard Kunreuther, eds, (Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 2005).
3. Rethinking the Welfare State: Government by Voucher, Ronald J. Daniels & Michael J. Trebilcock (London: Routledge, 2005).
4. The Security of Freedom, Ronald J. Daniels, Patrick Macklem & Kent Roach, eds, (Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2001).
5. Corporate Decision-Making in Canada (Calgary: University of Calgary Press, 1995).
6. Ontario Hydro at the Millennium (Kingston: McGill-Queen's University Press, 1995).
7. Corporate Governance in Canada (Fall 1995) Canadian Business Law Journal.
8. Special Issue on the Corporate Stakeholder Debate: The Classical Theory and its Critics (1993) 43(3) University of Toronto Law Journal.
9. Cases and Materials on Partnerships and Canadian Business Corporations, Third Edition, J.S. Ziegel, Ronald J. Daniels, J. G. MacIntosh & D. Johnston (Toronto: Carswell & Company, 1994).
1. "Rationales and Instruments for Government Intervention in Natural Disasters", Michael J. Trebilcock and Ronald J. Daniels in Daniels et al., On Risk and Disaster: Lessons from Hurricane Katrina (Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 2005).
2. "Towards a New Compact for University Education in Ontario", Ronald J. Daniels and Michael J. Trebilcock in Frank Iacobucci and Carolyn Tuohy, Taking Public Universities Seriously (Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 2005).
3. "The Political Economy of Rule of Law Reform in Developing Countries" Ronald J. Daniels & Michael J. Trebilcock (Fall, 2004) 26 Michigan Journal of International Law 99.
4. "Rethinking the Race to the Bottom in International Corporate Regulation", Tom Courchene & Donald Savoie, eds, The Art of the State: Governance in a World Without Frontiers (Institute for Research on Public Policy, 2003).
5. "Electricity Restructuring: The Ontario Experience", Ronald J. Daniels and Michael J. Trebilcock (April 2000) 33 Canadian Business Law Journal 161.
6. "Government by Voucher", Michael J. Trebilcock, Ronald J. Daniels and Malcolm Thorburn, (2000) 80 Boston University Law Review 205-232.
7. "Some of the Causes and Consequences of Corporate Ownership Concentration in Canada", Ronald J. Daniels and Edward Iacobucci. Randall Morck, ed., Concentrated Corporate Ownership (Cambridge, MA: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1999).
8. "Private Provision of Public Infrastructure: An Organization Analysis of the Next Privatization Frontier," Ronald J. Daniels and Michael J. Trebilcock (Summer 1996) 46 University of Toronto Law Journal 375-426.
9. "When the Bleeding Stops: Do Institutions Matter in Managing the Risk of H.I.V. Contamination in National Blood Supply Systems?" Michael J. Trebilcock, Robert Howse and Ronald J. Daniels, (1996) 82 Virginia Law Review 1407-1492.
10. "The Future of Ontario Hydro: A Review of Structural and Regulatory Options," Ronald J. Daniels and Michael Trebilcock. R. Daniels, ed. Ontario Hydro at the Millennium (Kingston, Ont.: McGill-Queen's University Press, 1995).
11. "In High Gear: A Case Study of the Hees-Edper Corporate Group and the Implications for Conglomerate Policy in Canada," David Stangeland, Ronald J. Daniels and Randall Morck. R. Daniels and R. Morck, eds, Corporate Decision-Making in Canada (Calgary: University of Calgary Press, 1995) 223-240.
12. "Rewarding Whistleblowers: The Costs and Benefits of an Incentive-Based Compliance Strategy," Robert Howse and Ronald J. Daniels. R. Daniels and R. Morck, eds. Corporate Decision-Making in Canada (Calgary: University of Calgary Press, 1995) 525-550.
13. "The Role of Debt in Interactive Corporate Governance," George G. Triantis and Ronald J. Daniels, (1995) 83 University of California Law Review 1073-1113.
14. "Too Close for Comfort: The Role of the Closely Held Public Corporation in the Canadian Economy and the Implications for Public Policy," Ronald J. Daniels and Paul Halpern (1995) 26 Canadian Business Law Journal 11-62.
15. "Must Board s Go Overboard? An Economic Analysis of the Effects of Burgeoning Statutory Liability on the Role of Directors in Corporate Governance," Chapter 13 in J. Ziegel ed., Current Developments in International and Comparative Insolvency Law (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1994). Republished in (1994) 24 Canadian Business Law Journal 229 -258.
16. "Choice of Policy Instrument in the Provision of Public Infrastructure," Michael J. Trebilcock and Ronald J. Daniels. J. Mintz, ed. Productivity and Infrastructure (Kingston: John Deutsch Institute, 1993).
17. "Challenges to the Citadel: A Brief Overview of Recent Trends in Canadian Corporate Governance," Ronald J. Daniels and Edward J. Waitzer, (1994) 23 Canadian Business Law Journal 23 - 44.
18. "Compensation, Accountability & Disclosure: An Assessment of the Revisions to the Securities Act Regulations Governing Executive Compensation," (1994) 7(1) Canadian Investment Review 41-46.
19. "Bad Policy as a Recipe for Bad Federalism in the Regulation of Canadian Financial Institutions: The Case of Loan and Trust Companies," (1993) 31 Osgoode Hall Law Journal 543 - 587.
20. "The Capricious Cushion: The Implications of the Directors and Insurance Liability Crisis on Canadian Corporate Governance", Ronald J. Daniels and Susan M. Hutton, (1993) 22 Canadian Business Law Journal 182 - 230.
21. "Stakeholders and Takeovers: Can Contractarianism be Compassionate?" (1993) 43 University of Toronto Law Journal 315 - 351.
22. "Reforming the Reform Process: Privatization in Central and Eastern Europe," Ronald J. Daniels and Robert Howse, (1992) 25 New York University Journal of International Law and Politics 27 - 71.
23. "Breaking The Logjam: Proposals for Moving Beyond the Equals Approach," (1993) 22 Canadian Business Law Journal 132 - 157.
24. "Corporate Governance: A Canadian Perspective", Ronald J. Daniels and Edward J. Waitzer, (1993) 1(2) Corporate Governance — An International Review 66 - 82.
25. "Growing Pains: The Why and How of Canadian Law Firm Expansion," (1993) 43 University of Toronto Law Journal 147 - 206.
26. "Uncharted Frontiers: The Law Firm as an Efficient Community," (1992) 37 McGill Law Journal 801 - 834.
27. "How Broke' is the System of Provincial Securities Regulation in Canada?" (1992) 5 (1) Canadian Investment Review 89 - 98.
28. "Toward a Distinctive Canadian Corporate Law Regime," Ronald J. Daniels and Jeffrey G. MacIntosh, (1991) 29 Osgoode Hall Law Journal 863 - 933.
29. "Don't Shoot the Messenger: Mergers & Acquisitions and the Public Interest" in Leonard Waverman, ed. Corporate Globalization Through Mergers and Acquisitions (Calgary: University of Calgary Press, 1991), 195 - 238.
30. "Capital Markets and the Law: The Peculiar Case of Canada," Jeffrey G. MacIntosh and Ronald J. Daniels, (1990) 3(2) Canadian Investment Review 77 84.
31. "Should Provinces Compete? A Case for a Canadian Charter Market," (1991) 36 McGill Law Journal 130 - 190.
32. "The Cost of Protecting Occupational Health: The Asbestos Case," Donald N. Dewees and Ronald Daniels, 21(3) The Journal of Human Resources 380 - 596.
33. "Prevention and Compensation of Industrial Disease," Donald N. Dewees with Ronald J. Daniels, (1988) 8 International Review of Law and Economics 51 - 72.
34. "The Political Economy of Economic Adjustment," Volume 8 of Research Studies for the Royal Commission on the Economic Union and Development Prospects for Canada, Michael J. Trebilcock, assisted by Ronald J. Daniels, Charlotte Janssen, Pamela Lawrence-Jamieson and Ann Peel.
35. "A Comparative Survey of Industrial Policies in Selected O.E.C.D. Countries," a research study for Royal Commission on the Economic Union and Development Prospects for Canada, Marsha Chandler and Michael J. Trebilcock, assisted by Ron Daniels, Charlotte Janssen, Pamela Lawrence-Jamieson and Ann Peel.
36. "Risk Assessment Appendix," Report of the Royal Commission on Matters of Health and Safety Relating to the Use of Asbestos in Ontario, Ronald J. Daniels and Robin Roberts.
1. Report of the Task Force on the Future Role of Government (March 2004).
2. Institutions and Growth: Framework Policy as a Tool of Competitive Advantage for Canada, Report for Industry Canada Research Publications Programme, Canada in the 21st Century (1999).
3. Ontario Market Design Committee: First Report (April 1998); Second Report (July 1998); Third Report (October 1998); Final Report (January 1999).
4. The Toronto Stock Exchange and Its Public Interest Mandate: A Paradigm in Transition (Ronald J. Daniels, Paul Halpern, Jonathan Macey and Michael Trebilcock), (March 1998).
5. Responsibility and Responsiveness: Final Report of the Ontario Task Force on Securities Regulation (June 1994).
Business Organizations I (Basic Corporations Law)
Business Organizations II (Corporate Finance and Securities Law)
Capstone Course: HIV/AIDS in Africa
Law, Institutions and Development
Law and Finance of Mergers and Acquisitions (with P. Halpern)
The Art of the Deal
Public Goals, Private Means (with M.J. Trebilcock) (course focuses on organizational change in the public and quasi-public sectors, and legal and economic implications thereof)
Capitalism and Democracy
International Capital Markets Regulation
|2004||Chair, Ontario Panel of the Future of Government|
|2002-2004||Member, Ontario Pro Bono Initiative|
|2002-2003||Special Advisor to Ontario Government on Reform of Accounting Standards|
|2001-2007||Treasurer (and Co-Founder), International Lawyers and Economists against Poverty|
|2000-2001||President, Canadian Law Deans|
|1998-2002||Chair, Council of Ontario Law Deans|
|1998-1999||Chair, Market Design Committee (Ontario Government committee responsible for defining market structure of new competitive electricity market in Ontario)|
|1997-2005||Chair, Pro Bono Students Canada|
|1995||Project Leader (with Randall Morck, University of Alberta, Faculty of Management), Corporate Decision-Making in Canada|
|1994||Chairman, Ontario Government Task Force on Securities Regulation|
|1993-1994||Member of the Toronto Stock Exchange Committee on Corporate Governance in Canada (The "Dey Committee")|
Related Web Sites
Daniels Elected 14th President of Johns Hopkins
Ronald J. Daniels, President-Elect, The Johns Hopkins University — Biography
Ronald J. Daniels — Curriculum Vitae
Quotes from President-Elect Ronald J. Daniels
Quotes about President-Elect Ronald J. Daniels
The President-Elect's Family
Joanne D. Rosen — Curriculum Vitae