2013-14 Hopkins Symphony Concerto Competition
Hopkins Symphony Orchestra 201 Shriver Hall Johns Hopkins University
3400 N. Charles St., Baltimore, MD 21218
410-516-6542 email@example.com www.jhu.edu/jhso
Who is eligible: The competition is open to all enrolled Johns Hopkins University undergraduates and graduate students, including JHU music minors. Contestants may compete on any instrument or voice. Past winners may compete again. Peabody Conservatory students are not eligible.
Repertoire: Applicants may choose to compete with an entire concerto or solo, with select movements of a concerto, or with an aria (vocalists). Applicants must audition on the material they will perform if selected as a competition winner. Use of sheet music is allowed for both the audition and performance although memorization is preferred. Applicants must submit their proposed repertoire for approval in advance by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible (this may be done prior to the application entry period beginning November 4, 2013). Applicants may be denied if their selected repertoire is not feasible.
Accompanists: Instrumentalists will audition without accompaniment. Singers may request an accompanist and will be provided one at no cost.
Prize: The winner(s) will perform his or her concerto or aria with the Hopkins Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Jed Gaylin, on Saturday April 26, 2014 at 8pm in Shriver Hall. Additional winner(s) may also be selected to perform with the chamber orchestra a date to be mutually agreed upon. Judges reserve the right to withhold the prize if they do not deem any competitor qualified to be awarded a performance.
- Email email@example.com to confirm concerto competition repertoire (may be done prior to November 4, 2013).
- Complete the online application and attach a 1- to 2-page musical resume starting Monday, November 4, 2013. Deadline for application submissions is Monday, December 9, 2013 at 5 pm.
- You will be notified by Monday, December 16, 2013 if you have been accepted into the competition. If accepted, you will be assigned an audition time.
- The judging will be held on Saturday, February 1, 2014 in Shriver Hall Auditorium on the Homewood Campus. The judging is not open to the public. You should arrive at least 30 minutes early to register and warm up. You will have use of a practice room.
- The judges will listen to 10 to 15 minutes of your piece. If your piece is longer than 15 minutes, please select contrasting sections to play. The judges may ask you to play additional passages.
- You will be notified of the judges' decision by Friday, February 7, 2014. The winner(s) will be contacted by phone, and the other competitors by e-mail.
- The winner must be available to rehearse with the orchestra
at the following rehearsals.
Monday, April 7, 2014 7 – 9:30 pm rehearsal Thursday, April 17, 2014 7 – 9:30 pm rehearsal Monday, April 21, 2014 7 – 9:30 pm rehearsal Thursday, April 24, 2014 7 – 9:30 pm rehearsal Friday, April 25, 2014 7 – 9:30 pm dress rehearsal Saturday, April 26, 2014 8 pm performance
For more information, write to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 410-516-6542.