Home | Fire & Smoke Conditions | Severe Weather & Earthquake | Bomb Threat | Active Shooter Incident
Welcome to the
Emergency Preparedness Page
In the event of severe weather or a large-scale emergency, University officials must assess risks to safety and property, survey damages, and orchestrate a plan to best provide students with basic necessities until all hazards have subsided. Such events are sometimes very sudden, thus it is important that students be prepared to act quickly in a safe, smart, and efficient manner in order to achieve the best possible outcome.
It is recommended that our students and affiliates become familiar with the various sources of information provided by the University so that they are prepared should an emergency arise.
Emergency Preparation Guidelines
Prior to the onset of a severe weather front or a “shelter-in-place” emergency, students can prepare by doing the following:
- Be familiar with the emergency evacuation procedures for the residence hall in which you live.
- Know which web sites to check for updates (see links above).
- Ensure that your windows can be closed and properly secured. Contact Maintenance if you are unable to secure your windows, even if there is no immediate threat of an oncoming storm.
- Make sure that the floor areas in your unit are clear, so as to create a safe and easily accessible egress in case of an emergency.
- Create an emergency kit. Suggested items to include are:
- A battery-powered or hand crank flashlight
- Battery-powered radio
- Extra batteries
- A manual can opener
- Bottled water
- Non-perishable food items
- First aid kit and any necessary prescription medications
- Trash bags
- Cell phone with extra battery, inverter, or solar charger
- A list of contact phone numbers
During an emergency situation where you are urged to stay indoors (e.g. severe weather and other shelter-in-place emergencies), remember to do the following:
- Stay inside!
- Secure all windows, and close the blinds. Once completed, stay away from the windows.
- Keep cell phone and laptop use to a minimum in case the power goes out and you are unable to recharge them.
- Should a power outage occur, DO NOT burn candles. Instead, use a battery-powered or hand crank flashlight.
- If possible, check for emergency information and updates provided by the University, as well as local news updates.
- In the event that you need urgent and immediate Maintenance or Custodial attention during the emergency situation, contact Security directly at 410-516-7777. Do not try to call the Housing Offices, and do not submit an online work request.
- Heed all warnings given by University and local officials.
If building evacuation is necessary, remember:
- Do not panic. It is important to stay calm and exit the building as quickly and orderly as possible.
- Follow your building evacuation guidelines, located here.
- In the event that the card access system fails and building or wing doors do not open, your RA has a key and can manually open these doors for you. Call Security at 410-516-7777 if an RA or other staff member is not available to open an inaccessible door in the event of an ongoing emergency where access or evacuation is necessary.