Responsibilities of Members and Officers in the JHU Classical Ballet Company
All Active Members
- Must attend at least four ballet classes per month.
- Must attend all required rehearsals if they are scheduled to perform in pieces.
- Have the right to choreograph pieces.
- Have the right to perform in pieces.
- Have the right to vote in company elections.
- Have the right to run for officer positions.
- Presides over all meetings.
- Represents the company at all SAC (Student Activities Commission) and performing arts groups meetings.
- Coordinates committees within the company as necessary.
- Oversees budgetary matters alongside the treasurer.
- Oversees the other officers and committee chairs.
- Coordinates ballet workshops.
- Presides over meetings in the event that the president is absent.
- Coordinates logistics of all on- and off-campus non-performance events and promotes member participation in social events.
- Schedules the teaching rotation for Monday and Wednesday ballet classes and ensures that attendance is taken at classes and ballet boot camp sessions.
- Takes minutes at meetings at which the secretary is absent.
- Is responsible for all fiscal matters of the company.
- Prepares the annual budget for submission to the SAC.
- Disperses funds with the approval of the president.
- Acts as the liaison for costume approval between officers and choreographers, and is responsible for reimbursements for approved costumes.
- Along with the president, is the only person authorized to handle company funds.
- Oversees and acts as a resource for grant-writing projects and for obtaining donations.
- Organizes fundraisers.
- Takes minutes at all company-wide meetings and all officer meetings.
- Checks the company e-mail account at least once a day and forwards all relevant e-mails to the appropriate people.
- Keeps track of members' attendance and maintains the company roster of active and non-active members.
- Updates the pages of the company website that concern meeting minutes, member responsibilities, and the list of active members and officers.
- Organizes and schedules productions both on and off campus.
- Coordinates studio, room, and theater reservations for productions.
- Coordinates the music and lighting for performances with the stage tech crews, the facility manager, and the JHU electrician.
- Coordinates, alongside the treasurer, president, and publicity manager, all costs associated with a production, excluding costumes.
- In the event that there are guest groups in a show, all officers will submit one choice for a guest group, and the production manager will pick from among those groups. The number of guest groups will be voted upon by officers.
- If it is necessary to do a joint showcase, officers will vote to decide upon the collaborator. The production manager acts as the liaison between the groups that are collaborating, informing the company of the other group's progress and informing the collaborator of the company's progress.
- Keeps all other officers informed of the progress for a show by sending them an e-mail every two weeks.
- Monitors members' attendance at all performance-related meetings, including but not limited to, choreography sessions.
- Ensures that there are pieces of every level and of a mix of styles in a show; ensures that there is at least one beginners' piece in a show.
- Signs up for on-campus recruitment events and organizes member participation in recruitment.
- Designs and distributes promotional materials, including show programs.
- Submits announcements and advertising for upcoming events.
- Updates the pages of the company website that concern photos and videos.